Does your organization have a sustainability project or program that stands out from the crowd? Showcase it by competing in the annual SWANA NJ Chapter Sustainability Award! We will judge all applicants on their renewable resource harvesting, conservation and innovation. All applications must be submitted by August 30, 2019.
- Q: What is the Sustainability Award?
A: NJ SWANA Sustainability Award shall recognize a program or project that demonstrates an effective and successful use of sustainable practices in the integrated solid waste industry. Submissions may include municipal, commercial, institutional and/or industrial entities that have implemented a sustainable project or program within the past 3 years. The project or program must adhere and demonstrate the use of principles of economic, social and/or environmental sustainability.
- Q: Where can applicant program be located?
A: New Jersey
- Q: Are smaller facilities or programs at a disadvantage?
A: No. Applications are judged upon the quality of the facility or program they depict.
- Q: What is the application process?
A: This is a competition open to programs located in New Jersey. The application is a written program description. SWANA NJ does not wish to limit applicants’ creativity in the application process, however, within 15 pages it is anticipated that a program’s description, benefits and sustainability characteristics can be appropriately captured.
- Q: Does a longer application work to my benefit?
A: As long as the scoring topics are discussed sufficiently to convey insight into your operations, application length is not a judging factor, subject to the 15-page limit. Supplementary materials like brochures, maps, pictures, testimonials, etc., often can replace the need for descriptions.
- Q: How are entries judged?
A: Point System based on the following criteria:
- Use of Progressive or Innovative Technique – 35
- Demonstrates a positive economic, social or environmental impact – 30
- Applicability to other entities (i.e. can the project or program be duplicated at another facility with similar success) – 20
- Written submission – 10
- Testimonials and/or Letters of Recommendation – 5
- Q: If I entered in the past, can I enter again?
A: SWANA encourages repeat entries.
- Q: Will I get comments from the judges?
A: Yes, comments on how to improve your entry in the future will be sent to you after the applications are reviewed.
- Q: What are the benefits of being an Award Winner?
A: In addition to recognition during the annual NJ Spring Conference awards dinner, SWANA NJ will issue a press release announcing award winners, and your program will be identified in the conference proceedings.
August 30, 2019 – Sustainability Award submissions due
October 2019 – Sustainability Award Ceremony in conjunction with SWANA NJ Chapter Fall Meeting
Please email your nomination to Prentiss Shaw at [email protected]